John Ashton Music

Producer Mixer/Remixer Musician Songwriter

ISRC Codes & Copyright 

ISRC Codes:  The ISRC (International Standard Recording Code) system is the key to royalty collection for recordings in the digital information age. The ISRC is the international identification system for sound recordings and music video recordings. I will embed all of the tracks with these codes. Each ISRC is a unique and permanent identifier for a specific recording, independent of the format on which it appears (CD, audio file, etc) or the rights holders involved. Only one ISRC should be issued to a track, and an ISRC can never represent more than one unique recording. $75 to apply for the codes.


Sound Exchange ( & PRS ( copyright for digitally distributed music. They can use the ISRCs to assist in calculating royalty payments.


Soundscan ( tracks sales in the US. They may use ISRC information to track download sales.



-We'll need to decide on a Genre for iTunes. (of course you can describe your music in a much more specific & creative way in press releases, bios, interviews etc.)


ASCAP  The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers

BMI Broadcast Music, Inc. PRS



Copyright Forms for Sound Recording

see more below.



Other  social media outlets:


Band Camp

Bands In Town




Copyright continued:


All writers and publishers involved should fill out a songwriter publisher share letter of agreement that spells out their writer and publisher shares. This agreement is a document that all writers and publishers should sign and keep for their records. Any money made from the songs (except for money paid to the writers and publishers by their respective Performing Rights Organizations) should be split up according to what is spelled out in this agreement.


- All involved songwriters should fill out a form PA and register their work (the songs) with the U.S. Copyright Office.


- The artists / performers or the record producer (or both), unless Musician Release Agreements have been signed, should fill out a form SR and register the album (sound recording) with the U.S. Copyright Office. If you are the writer and performer / producer on the album, you can fill out just one Form SR instead of both forms.



- If you wish to have your own UPC Bar Code, you can get one from GS1 US . Several companies, for example CD manufacturers (Discmakers) , will offer you a UPC Bar Code free with their services. Keep in mind that in these cases the UPC Bar Code will belong to the CD manufacturer. If you produce another album, it will not have a UPC Bar Code unless you get another one from them or someone else. Having your own Uniform Code Council account will allow you to assign all your music-related products a unique UPC Bar Code in your company’s name.


- As a Sound Recording Copyright Owner (SRCO – e.g. artist, producer, record label), in order to get paid for non-interactive digital transmissions on cable, satellite and web cast services, you should join SoundExchange .


- Add your songs to the Gracenote Media Database . When correctly added, song titles and artist names will be displayed on media players (e.g. home stereos, computer media players, satellite and terrestrial radio, mp3 players, cell phones and other wireless devices, etc.) that take advantage of the Gracenote Media Database data. Alternatively, you can use a freedb-aware program to upload your songs into the database. 




John Ashton

This article was originally written by my good friend Anthony Molina and is used by his kind permission.



If you had a sign above every studio door saying ‘This Studio is a Musical Instrument’ it would make such a different approach to recording. Brian Eno